The University of Ruse develops its international activity through:
- Participation in scientific programmes of the EU: FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMES, HORIZON 2020;
- Participation in academic programmes of EU: CEEPUS, ERASMUS+, ERASMUS MUNDUS, TEMPUS, etc.;
- Participation in other EU funding schemes: Operational Programmes 2007-2013 and 2014-2020 in Bulgaria, Romania-Bulgaria Cross Border Cooperation Programme 2007-2013, Interreg V-A Romania – Bulgaria, COST, Competitiveness and Innovation Framework Program (CIP), Intelligent Energy Europe Programme, South East Europe Transnational Cooperation Programme, Europe for Citizens, etc.
- Programmes for cooperation with Germany - DAAD, Baden-Wuertemberg Stiftung
- Participation in bilateral exchanges with above 100 signed bilateral agreements for institutional partnership with other universities and scientific-research institutes from 31 countries.
- Organization and participation in international events,
- Membership in international organisations - DRC, EUA, VUA, Inter-University Centre-Dubrovnik, BUA и International Organisation of La Francophonie,
- Organisation of joint studies leading to the award of mutually recognised diplomas.
The University of Ruse is one of the first Bulgarian universities which started its participation in the ERASMUS programme. Now there are more than 500 bilateral agreements signed with universities from 51 countries. At least 80 undergraduate, post-graduate and PhD-students are annually involved in all EU exchange programmes. The University of Ruse is the only university in Bulgaria which was a coordinator of four thematic networks of about 70 participants each from 35 countries.